Google Input Tools lets you type in your language using the input tools familiar to you. Google Input Tools makes it easy to enter text in the languages you want, when you want them.
- Need to reply to an e-mail in Chinese? - Want to join the Google+ conversation with your Hindi-speaking friends? - Required to enter your name in Cyrillic letters on your visa application?
Switch to typing in a different language with the click of the mouse, and switch back just as easily. The Google Input Tools extension provides virtual keyboards for over 70 languages, and full IMEs or direct transliteration for over 20 different scripts.
- Added keyboard shortcuts (see below, 'Keyboard Shortcuts')
- Extension icon updates to show the current input method and active/inactive state
- The pop-up candidate window is now available on all transliteration tools
- Includes Wubi 86 for Simplified Chinese and Pinyin for Traditional Chinese
- Includes a full status bar for Chinese, including Wubi 86, Zhuyin, and Pinyin (Simplified and Traditional)
- New input methods available for Ukrainian, Belarusian, and Bulgarian
- No need to wait for candidates to load - continue typing as usual, and the top candidate will be entered as it loads.
When you first install the extension, click on the extension icon, then select "Extension Options" in the pop-up menu. A new tab will appear where you can select your preferred languages or input methods. The keyboards or IMEs you add to 'Selected input tools' can be enabled at any time from the extension itself. You can always return to this options page to add, remove, or change the order of your input tools.
To use an input tool, simply click on the extension icon, select the desired language tool in the pop-up menu, then click on any text box on the web page. To turn off an input tool, click on the extension icon and select the "Turn Off" option.
Keyboard Shortcuts: (recently updated)
SHIFT - Toggle between active/inactive state for all transliteration (IME) tools
ALT+SHIFT - Switch to next input tool in the list (if the extension is off, turn it on; if the current input tool is the last tool in the list, turn the extension off)
CTRL+SPACE - Revert to the last input tool used (if none, turn off the extension)
SHIFT+SPACE - Toggle the SBC/DBC mode (Chinese input tools only)
CTRL+PERIOD - Toggle Chinese / European language punctuation (Chinese input tools only)
Due to security features of Google Chrome, the Google Input Tools extension will not assist with input in the address bar (omnibox), on the Chrome Web Store, or inside of other Chrome extensions. It does not currently assist with input inside of Flash applications.